Saturday, April 20, 2013

M is for Mobile

The M*A*S*H* 4077 Mobile Garden


So this year I'm doing my entire garden in containers. Last year's garden was a complete fiasco; along with some family problems that kept me away from the garden weeks at a time and drought, I had every kind of pest, mold, and fungus one could develop. Black-turning leaves, white fly, worms, stunted growth, nematodes... The only way I got tomatoes at all was by purchasing some 5 gallon buckets and some starts from the garden center late in the season.

But I accidentally stumbled onto something good.  This year all the garden is mobile. So far just the peas and squash/zucs are planted, but have a look:

Crowder Peas

Squash and Zucchini, two to a box
Personally I think the idea of using tomato cages in with my peas was ingenious. I've used the stake and twine method to make rows for two years now, and I've found it tedious but do-able. This year is an experiment, but I already like the direction it's heading. In both pictures you can see my little sprouts!

Also mobile is my strawberry patch. They're looking much better than they did in February.


And finally, an update on the tomatoes and pepper plants. Look how big they're getting! I topped them off with some fresh dirt today, and I'm aiming to set them out in their own mobile containers about the first of May.




No comments:

Post a Comment