Thursday, February 28, 2013

Strawberries!

So, it's been a few weekends. Everything has sprouted at long last, and some of the first tomatoes are putting on tiny little leaf buds which shall, in time, become their first true leaves. Even the pepper and the carrots are showing ontop of the soil. But really, there's not a great deal to report yet on those. Perhaps when the sprouts get their first true leaves, I'll stick some pictures up here.

Until that time, how about some pictures of other things in my garden?

The other half of my gardening efforts include... strawberries!
These strawberries are approximately one to two year old plants. The story is this: One year I think it's a good idea to buy two strawberry plants from the store and plant them on the side of the garden, to see what happens. They're guaranteed by the sticker to make strawberries in the same year. Time passes. No strawberries. Boo. But, the little suckers start spreading - EVERYWHERE.
Winter comes, garden is covered in leaves and dead grass. Spring arrives... and the first thing to show up outside are strawberry plants. I neglect them anyway. They didn't do anything for me the first time, why should I take care of them this time. And behold - strawberries begin to appear, bright red strawberries. Then rollie pollies. THen slugs. Then birds. Needless to say, they feasted and I starved. I threw up my hands again.
Winter comes.
And this year, I see strawberries, strawberry plants everywhere. So this year, I'm putting my foot down. I got the shovel, dug them up, and I now have four hanging pots of strawberries like the one pictured. We'll see who wins this year - me or the birds.
Today when I was out in the garden, I noticed a solitary strawberry plant growing in the middle of where I dug all these up. I must have left some roots behind, and it came up again! I'll be adding that sturdy little shoot to my collection this weekend, I hope.

More to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment