Monday, February 11, 2013

An Introduction

This space is intended for my fourth-year gardening notes, and will probably include notations on the progress of my various gardening projects, future ideas, and general goings-on. I'll also be adding some notes from my first through third year gardens, just so I have some easily-referenced comparisons for when this season gets into full swing.

The blog is mostly intended for me and a few others, but I'm happy to hear from people who are curious, knowledgeable, or just wanna say hi.

I chose now to start a blog since the gardening season for my area has officially commenced. As of last weekending, Feb 9-10, it is 8 weeks prior to our last expected frost date for Zone 8, which coincides nicely with Good Friday. That means it's time to sow seeds for plants that need a good jump on the growing season. For me, this included tomatoes, bell peppers, and carrots.

For the record, I planted 6 tomato types and 1 bell pepper type. The carrots are a dwarf variety I picked up from the store on a whim.

My tomato varieties are:
Beefsteak
Cherokee Purple
Yellow Pear
Livingston's Paragon
Kimberly Cherry
Roma

About here I would definitely like to recommend Victory Seeds; I purchased my tomato seeds from them, and I'm very pleased with my results.

The bell peppers and carrots are just department store brands I grabbed.

I'll probably be updating this post with notes from previous year's timetables. I don't think I started last year's garden for another two weeks.

That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment