Wednesday, February 20, 2013

One day of sun = two days of rain

And one day of warm = two days of cold.

This is February, and this is how February behaves. It isn't unusual or unexpected, but it certainly is pesky when my tomatoes are so tiny and are getting tall and spindly because they're not getting enough sun.

My garden has moved from the top of the fridge to the porch steps to the plant bench to the kitchen counters and finally back to the fridge. Last year I fretted and worried and railed against the inconstant weather. This year, I'm just dealing with it. My tomatoes turned into fine, strapping young plants despite February's best efforts, and I'm sure they will again this year.

Speaking of! Sprouts.

Livingston's Paragon, Yellow Pear, and Kimberly Cherry - 16th, 7 days after sowing.
Cherokee Purple and Roma - 17th, 8 days after sowing.
Beefsteak - 18th, 9 days sowing.

Final judgement - The green house last year resulted in sprouts in 5 days. So with this method I had an extra 2 to 4 days wait. In the long run? All gonna be okay.

My bell pepper hasnt sprouted. I've read they can take 5 days to 3 weeks. Lesson learned? Probably should have researched it a bit more before I tried it, but I haven't given up on it yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment