Thursday, March 7, 2013

Things are starting to grow!

Bulbs are my favorite type of plant. If I had a garden and was only allowed one type of plant, I would be hard pressed to decide between rose bushes and bulbs.

There are a hundred billion types of bulbous plants out there; my particular favorites are lilies. And my specific favorite lily is the humble day lily.

Day lilies are garden workhorses. They take a lot of abuse and give you nothing but good returns. They can handle poor soil and irregular water, and they are generally very low maintenance plants.

I planted a clump of Stella d'oro day lilies last spring; they were gorgeous! They even had a faint fragrance. They died back very early though, and I was honestly concerned they wouldn't return. But I cleaned out the spot they were planted in, and look what I found! Day lilies sprouting.

Last spring while buying plants, mom and I were drawn in to the heady fragrance of some oriental lilies. They were pink with dark pink spots and white stripes. They bloomed for a long time and filled the air with a perfume that almost knocked us off our feet. Then they died back very early. Concerned, I did my research and found out they were really summer-blooming lilies that had been forced into early spring bloom to lure in shoppers like myself. So.

But they're coming back now! Believe it or not those scraggly looking shoots are the oriental lily. Ignore the pot of onions. That's another experiment for another post.

That's all for now. I'll have pictures when things start blooming! It's so refreshing to see the first greenery of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment