Monday, March 18, 2013

The Mystery Plant

So, I mentioned the mystery plant.  Last year when my folks picked up the four roses on the front of the house from a small nursery, the pot that contained the biggest rose (a Sara Van Fleet) also came with a hitchhiker - a small lilly-looking plant. The nursery lady sent it home with the folks, and we decided to pot it up. 

It grew and grew, and then it died. I completely ignored the pot all winter long. It was left under the carport where I was wintering other plants, but I didn't water it or really even think about it. 

Until I was transplanting the strawberries... 

I needed extra dirt, and since my budget is pretty limited, I tend to use recycled dirt in the lower halves of pots. And there was the mystery plant's pot sitting there with all that dirt. I started to scoop out the dirt, but when I got halfway down into the pot, I discovered these glossy roots with thick bulges. I discovered the bulb root! And it had spread through the entire pot. So I hastily recovered it and started watering it. Now I have 10 sprouts coming up.  


These pics are dated Feb 28 and March 16th, respectively. It seems to be growing quite happily! Last summer I saw a plant in the store that resembled this one. I think it makes a yellow or an orange unscented flower. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment