Thursday, March 21, 2013

How To Build A Grow Light

So the seedlings are sprouting! The first two popped up last night, at exactly 7 days. They were the Roma and the Cherry. Naturally, now that I have seedlings craving the sun, we've got a cold front plus three days of rain coming in.

This just wont do. So I went to the internet for solutions. I needed a grow light. I do not have the money for a grow light. So I needed... well this:

The light is about an inch above the top of the box, which puts it about two or three inches away from the tallest sprout. Whatever the distance, the left side is the height of For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Three Musketeers, Robinson Crusoe, and As I Lay Dying. The right side is the height of The History of Art, The Return of the Native, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, The Scarlet Letter, and one I cant recall at the moment.

The light is one I had sitting around (or rather, dad had sitting around in the shop). And presto. Grow light. The set up was inspired by this article here, via Yahoo.

I'm very hopeful. I may combine this with my idea to put the tray on the air vent to warm the grow pellets. Grow light + warmth = happy tomatoes? I'll give it a shot and report back if I get brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment