Thursday, May 9, 2013

I now officially have a vegetable garden

The garden is planted!

Saturday, May 4th, mom and I set out my tomatoes at long last. I realize I had the peas, squash, and zucs already planted, but really. The tomatoes are my favorites. I was not going to be happy until they were set out. Have a look:

Five tomato plants in 5 gallon buckets. As of this writing, all of the tomatoes have flowers on them except the Yellow Pear, front right. In the background, you can see my buckets of peas. They're actually not doing so hot, and I'm afraid my seed wasn't very good after being stored for several years.

Closeup of the biggest flower buds on the Kimberly Cherry tomato.


 Also on the 4th, I potted up my seedling Cherokee tomato, at the top, and moved my bell pepper plant into a new pot as well, at the bottom.



Here is also a picture of the carrots, looking huge. Although I didn't snap a picture, I have thinned them out once more. I believe 7 carrots are now left in my container. But that's just fine with me. If they are 7 carrot-sized and carrot-shaped carrots, then I will call this experiment a success.




Squash palnts putting on new leaves. As of this writing, all four of my squash plants have the beginnings of flower buds.
I don't know if I've written about the onion. This is an onion that mom bought from the store. She cut the roots off, and I stuck the bottom with roots into a pot. That was last summer. I honestly don't know what it's doing. I'm wondering if it might bloom soon...
Last but not least, fresh strawberries from the garden! The first strawberry didn't survive long enough to have its picture taken. It straight from the plant to my mouth in a fit of glee. Oh well. Here's the second and third strawberries, to make up for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment