Tuesday, May 21, 2013

New Rooting Project(s)

Propagating Rosemary via Cuttings


So after the rose cutting flopped, I ended up doing some cutting on my rosemary bush. I cut a whole chunk out, trying to reshape it, and realized I had some good pieces that would probably make good cuttings. So why not try?



Rooting Rosemary:

1. Cut some rosemary! Take plenty of time to enjoy the wonderful fragrance. 
2. Select semi wooden branches (too green and it might be too weak) that are 4-6 inches in length. 
3. Strip the leaves from the lower half-ish of the branch. 
4. Prepare your pots with soil, and water the soil well. 
5. Gently push the cutting into the soil. 
6. Press the soil into place around the new cutting. 


Rosemary cuttings made May 12th.
The soil should stay moist, but I'm trying not to have to cover these. The humidity is soaring, and I don't want to invite mold. They get shade but bright light during the day and morning sun.

Aloe Vera

So I have a pot of aloe vera that's doing very well (the same ones I sunburned), and sister wanted a piece of it. I had some new plantlets in the pot that grew over the winter, so I fished them out for her. She picked three, and I fixed a small pot with damp soil. Have a look:


So far so good. I hope they have a long life. My other plants are glad not to be so crowded.

No comments:

Post a Comment