Friday, June 28, 2013

New Daylily



So, my neighbor has a clump of day lilies growing at the fence corner, and it has spread through the fence. Dad cuts the emerging bulbs down with the weed eater, but this week he left them standing so I headed out with a shovel and collected two for myself!

I've no idea what the name of the day lily is, but it's got three layers of petals and a very lovely dark orange stripe on a lighter orange flower.

With this addition, I now have four varieties of day lilies.

I've been reading a lot about hybridizing your own day lilies by cross pollinating the ones you have in your yard and collecting the seeds.

Once my lilies get situated and a year or two more growth on them, I think I may give it a try!

I now have a good selection of size, shape, and bloom times.

Any idea what this orange one is named?







No comments:

Post a Comment