Thursday, June 13, 2013

Rearranging the Garden

After ruminating on one of the problems that came to light recently (namely, being unable to reach the peas with water), I decided to do some emergency rearranging in the garden.

 As you can see above, the peas are in two rows to the left of my two bins of squash. The idea was to put the shorter items to the right side of the garden and the tall items to the left, so that as the sun rises and sets each side will get plenty of sun and not block the shorter things.

Good idea right?

Well, until the peas got big and the tomatoes (not pictured, but to the left) got big and I cant reach anything. Hm. Plus the squash are branching through the fence and gate, and they're getting stepped on.



 It took some work since the peas were vining everywhere already, but I hauled them and the squash out into the yard. Then I set the peas in a row along the side of the house and positioned the squash in front. Now, nothing is being blocked and the squash have twice the room to spread.

On the left, the yellow crookneck is looking terribly pitiful. I had to cut out some branches showing bad signs of powdery mildew (more leaves have it, but I could only remove so much) and I had to cut a huge branch that had grown through the fence and wouldn't come out again. 

And I thought I had done well. 

Until I tried to water the next day. Hm. I still couldn't get to the peas for the squash. My main concern right now is watering. But then I remembered I have a long arm sprayer thing dad bought last year, and I think that will just about do the trick. 

Don't ask me how I'm actually going to pick. I haven't figured that out yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment